Week of Aug. 26
First day-Pers.1,3, 7
1. Verify attendance in correct class.
2. Supply information on index cards and indicate title of summer reading book
3.Fill in "Getting Acquainted" personal questionnaire. Finish tonight if needed.
T uesday 8-27-All periods
1. Go over packet "Class Expectations and Requirememts."
2. Verify understanding by signing form.
3. Divide into groups of 4 and give instructions for "Four of a KInd" activity. Will have finishing time before presenting tomorrow.
Thursday 8-29 All periods
1. Groups assemble and wrap up plans for presentations.
2. Groups present their findings: 4 traits that all in the group share, followed by 4 traits distinctive to each student. (Comments , questions from class).
3. Take diagnostic spelling test and turn in.
Tuesday 9-3 All classes
1. Supply answers on handout "Response to ' Four of a Kind' Activity." Turn in.
2. Return spelling diagnostic tests. Exchange and mark. Explain that the first section of HATS will be focusing daily on mastering short lists of "Frequently Misspelled Words."
3. Give an overview of the quiz over summer reading to be given on Thursday.
First section will be a list of identifications of characters, locations, places, identifiable phrases, symbolic objects,etc. Detailed explanations will be expected for full credit. BOOKS MAY BE USED. NO BOOKS WILL BE PROVIDED IN CLASS. BE SURE TO BRING YOUR BOOK.
A take-home essay section will be assigned for a separate grade. Details will be given on Thursday.
Home work: Identification quiz over summer reading on Thursday. Open book. Must bring your own. Take-home essay portion will be due on the following class day.
No later than Monday, Sept. 9, bring a folder with pockets to serve as a writing folder.
Thursday 9-5 All classes
1. Identification test over summer reading. Open book.
2. Explain details for take-home essay section.
HW: Plan to turn in written portion(typed) of essay section at beginning of period.
Yearbook pictures will be taken on Monday.
Remember to bring writing folder.
Weekof Sept. 9
Monday, 9-9 All periods
1. Go to library to have pictures made for yearbook.
2. Set up procedure for turning in essays.Turn in take-home essay for summer reading. (Teacher records in gradebook).
3. Go to lab and search for poftfolios ( contains essays. accumulated from previous years).
4. Introduce upcoming project on Literary Terms project. Issue handouts.
Wednesday, 9-11 All periods
1. Principal and counselor conduct sessions reviewing handbook and acquaint students with curricular changes pertaining to Junior level.
2. Question and answer period follows.
3. Divide into groups. Examine handout concerning "Literary Terms" project.
HW: Begin assembling material for your assigned segment of packet. Work in class next time on your groups.
1. Model use of terminology by analyzing a familiar story and determining information students are already familiar with.
2. Work in groups to prepare presentations.
HW: Be prepared to present groups beginning next time.
Week of Sept. 16
1. Return identification quizzes from summer reading. Discuss.
2. File in folders .
3. Initiate HATS section in notebook. (Daily reminders, hints, etc. to improve writing). Current topic is improving spelling by concentration on frequently misspell words. Examine new list of words daily with hints to remember how to master these words.
4. Begin presentations of literary terms project, (Use creative means to illustrate meanings and usage.)
HW: Plan for your group's presentation,
Thursday 9-19 All periods
1. Continue presentations.
HW: Be keeping up with the multiple terms covered each day to prepare for a major test when all presentations are finished.