GEOMETRY SYLLABUS 2013-2014
Tom Courson– Room 211
Phone: 713-251-3400 ext: 3510
Course Description: Problem solving, language and communications, reasoning, and connections within mathematics to the real world are fundamental processes of Geometry. Geometry students have mastered algebraic concepts and use this knowledge as a bridge to explore Geometry.
I. Materials needed daily:
· Math binder or folder to keep homework, notes, and quizzes
· Notebook paper or graph paper
· Pencils and erasers (no work will be accepted in pen!)
II. Grading Scale
· Tests 50%
· Quizzes 30%
· Daily/Board 20% - may consist of notes, warm-ups, supplies, class work, and homework
III. Class Rules:
· Be on time! Be in your seat with all materials and homework out when the bell rings.
· Come to class with your best attitude! Be respectful of your classmates and your teacher. Only positive comments and behavior are allowed.
· Be productive! Work until the bell rings. You will leave class when you are dismissed by the teacher.
· Cheating is not tolerated. The penalty will be a “zero” on the assignment/test for all involved, and the incident will be reported to the grade-level principal.
IV. Homework Policy:
· Homework is due at the beginning of the period. No late work will be accepted! Homework will usually be graded on completion.
· Any work submitted for credit must be legibly written, and all work (calculations) must be shown. A list of answers with no work shown will not receive credit.
· All work missed during an excused absence may be made up. The number of days missed will determine the length of time given to complete the make-up work. It is your responsibility to check the posted assignment sheet for all make-up work and to get it to me!
· Any work missed for an extracurricular activity should be requested and completed before the day of absence.
· My tutorials are every morning from 7:00 am-7:50 am. You must bring materials and questions. This is not a sit and watch session.
VI. Make-up tests:
· When absent on the day of the test, you are required to attend the next available math make-up session on Mondays, in Room 204, from 3:00-4:30 PM.
VII. Textbook Website: Below are the instructions on how to access the Holt website.
· Click on Holt Online Learning (middle of page)
User name and password will be provided in class